From page 312, History of Adams County, Pennsylvania, published by Warner, Beers & Company, Chicago, Illinois, 1886:
The Lutheran and Methodist Union Church at Wenksville was dedicated December 25, 1872, by Revs. Clark and Dixon, Methodist Episcopal ministers, and M. Snyder and J. F. Probst, Lutheran ministers. The building cost $1,600.
The Lutheran Society of Wenksville was organized March 5, 1836, at Piselís schoolhouse (afterward known as Wenksí School, near the site of the present brick Union building), with thirty-one members. Rev. Daniel Gottwalt, David Melas, John Weigle, George Black and Jacob B. Meals may be named among its founders. In 1840 the new Lutheran society of Bendersville drew off the majority of the members, and this society existed in a semi-disorganized condition until 1878, when Rev. M. Snyder reorganized it. In 1880 it was made an appointment of Bendersville, and so continues. From 1841 to 1878 preachers from the theological seminary and from the neighboring churches visited the locality, until Bendersville Circuit was formed in 1880, with Rev. W. L. Heisler in charge. Rev. C. W. McSherry is the present preacher.
The Methodist Society of Wenksville is contemporary with the Lutheran, although no regular organization existed until 1872, when this denomination initiated the work of church building here.